Before knowing ” what are the 5 characteristics of emotional intelligence”. Let’s know what emotional intelligence is-
Emotional intelligence or EQ is the most important trait of a leader as it allows one to know what a team member takes to work on his best and effectively or what will influence them to work together as a team or as an individual.
EI or EQ relates to the ability to anticipate, manage and examine emotions. Several experimenters refer that emotional intelligence can be consolidated, while others assert it’s a genetic trait.
What Is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is the art of self-awareness & management of your emotions as well as being sensitive to others’ feelings & how your actions affect them.
Emotional Intelligence In Leadership
There is a strong alliance between emotional intelligence and leadership. A leader without a complete emotional intelligence skill won’t be able to handle his team or bring out efficient outcomes with the given burden of management.
A leader has to know the skills of how to think as his team members, accept recommendations and be polite enough though being stressed while making determinations. A manager who has his subordinates discontented with his decisions and plans fails to be a good leader, leading the organization to lag.
What Are The Four Components of Emotional Intelligence
THE FOUR ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS OF EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
- Social awareness
- Relationship management
Why Is Emotional Intelligence Important
EQ is as important as IQ in an individual. A leveled up EQ in humans monitors his emotions and behavior with others, enhancing emotional leadership in him.
Here’s why emotional intelligence matters. Emotional intelligence is meant to efficiently know the self & others better.
- It’s about how one can come out from the worst situation, making life smooth.
- It influences the betterment of relationships.
- Emotional intelligence works on one’s way of thinking and empathizing with others
- It lessens disagreements and helps to stay motivated for any new challenges or risks.
- It helps to create bonding and works ethically and efficiently.
Emotional Intelligence Impacts On:
- School/ office performance
- Physical or mental wellness
- Social status
What Are The 5 Characteristics of Emotional Intelligence
- Social skills
How to Improve Self-Awareness
Self-awareness is simply about how much you understand yourself. Before learning what others feel you first have to be self-graduate. Self-graduate in the sense, you’ve to know yourself deeply, stay updated, calm, and cool.
Here’s how you can improve your self-awareness:
- Be a diary keeper
- Stay organized
- Work on stress management
- Write your thoughts
- Be passionate enough
- Stay attentive
- Set goals
- Always be polite
- Ask for feedback if possible
- Keep adding new skills to your personality
- Try always to have a backup plan
How to Improve Self-Regulation
Self-regulation or self-control is having a controlled tongue and calm mindset. This is to be kept in mind that you are a leader and not a dictator. Try to deal with the situation, rather than ending up blaming others in every bad situation. This clears the necessity of self-regulation in emotional leadership.
Self-Regulation can be done through these simple steps:
- Think positive and valuable
- Build difficult emotion management skills
- Avoid loud tune or bad behavior
- Practice working smoothly in stress
- Learn from opportunities and challenges
- Communicate such that you do not show your anxiety or anger
How to Improve Social Skills
Social skills are all about delivering your opinion to others. Social-skills can be boosted by doing:
Ask open-ended questions.
- Improve your eye-contact skill
- Let your body language speak
- Follow people’s social skills.
- Try being distinctive with your social skills
- Be an enthusiastic listener.
- Show interest in others.
How to Build Empathy
Empathy is how you share yourself with others. While understanding others, it’s important how you share yourself, whether you’re able to share or not. Empathy building in Personality needs :
- Show interest in other’s emotions
- Sharing self sentiments
- Share your experience and feelings
- Practice listening calmly
- Be positive natured human
- Talk to different people
- Think of yourself as others
How to Improve Motivation
Without a downfall, there’s no gate to success. One shall stay encouraged and motivated for every new obstacle in his way.
Ways to stay elevated are:
- Flip your past success pages
- Take failure as a new challenge
- Remember life is your competitor
- Set short-term goals
- Work on yourself more and more
- Be fearless to the failures
FAQ About Emotional Intelligence
How is “EQ” different from “IQ”?
Simply put, emotional intelligence quotient (EQ), is equally powerful as intelligence quotient where emotional intelligence stands for the management of right expressions and emotions at the right moment, while intelligence quotient refers to individuals ability of reasoning.
What is the highest EQ score?
The highest emotional intelligence quotient score is 160 while the lowest lies within 90 to 100. An individual with the highest emotional intelligence quotient has perfect social skills, is open-minded, and is a good listener.
Are EQ tests accurate?
The answer to the question, “can we blindly believe in the EQ test blindly” is a big NO. No EQ tests are scientific and accurate to be believed.
The Final Lines
Emotional intelligence is all about management of self emotions as well as others to communicate effectively, avoid stress and empathise with others, and overcome challenges.
Emotional intelligence in leadership plays the role of how to think as his team members, accepts recommendations and be polite enough though being stressed while making determinations.
What are the 5 characteristics of emotional intelligence
Self-awareness, Self-regulation, Motivation, Empathy, Social skills.
COMPONENTS OF EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
- Social awareness
- Relationship management
Why is emotional intelligence important
Emotional intelligence is meant to efficiently know the self & others better. Emotional intelligence works on one’s way of thinking and empathizing with others. It lessens disagreements and helps to stay motivated for any new challenges or risks.